Here are the words and phrases that comprise this year’s 15 Scavenger Hunt categories. Game rules and submission details are available on the Member’s Banquet event page. Note that this is a members-only event.
The deadline to submit one image per category is April 23rd.
Scavenger Hunt Categories
- Old Buildings
- Animals (definition: a living organism which feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli. Can include any wild animal, community animal, pets (your own or others’ pets))
- Around the House (literally, anything around your apartment or house.)
- Something Complex (definition: consisting of many different and connected parts)
For the uninitiated, the Scavenger Hunt, which is a members-only event, works like this:
- You get a list of 15 categories in the form of words or phrases (listed above).
- You make a photo that fits each category. The images above shows three of winning photos from last year’s scavenger hunt.
- All photos must have been taken after March 25th, the start of the competition
- You are allowed to shoot 3 shots per category. The 3 shots must be the same subject. Once you select the subject, that’s it. You can’t go find a “better” one. You can change angle, lighting, etc., as long as it’s the same subject.
- Submit 1 shot for each category for a total of up to 15 images. You do not need to submit a shot for every category to participate, but you get credit for just entering a category, so don’t hold back!
- Post-editing: You can make minor tonal adjustments, correct white balance, resize, sharpen, and use selective editing tools available for local adjustments. The following are not allowed in post-editing: composites, cloning, rearranging subject matter post-shooting, and major Photoshop work.
- Submit images as sRGB jpgs, 1280 pixels in long dimension. No borders.
- Label each submission: category_your intials_title.jpg. For example, the file name for Cindy’s photo in the category “Splatter” would be labeled: splatter_chc_Big-Splat.jpg
- Photos are due April 23.
- 2018 Scavenger Hunt Submissions
Judging is based on images that fit the category and that have a sense of humor/artistic quality to them. “Fit the category” is up to your creativity and interpretation as long as the judge can understand what you’re doing. There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards for each category. Here are the words and phrases. Happy hunting!