Competition at NCC can do several things for us. It can provide learning through thoughtful critique by experienced critics; recognize and reward good work; and it can challenge us to create good work on various themes and topics. Beyond that, it is an opportunity for as many people as possible to share and see new and good work.
We host primarily digital competitions.
Our competitions have an Assigned category. You can pull from your archives, but we also love it when people use this to inspire them to shoot new work. Most competitions also includes an Open (pretty much anything goes) category.
Members: please direct questions to email@example.com.
2016-2017 competition topics are:
- Nature & Open | 10/09. Due date 9/21
- Night & Open | tbd
- Macro/Close-up & Open | tbd
- The last competition category will be announced soon.
Competition Submission Guidelines
Submission guidelines have changed in a couple ways from years past.
- Each competition has a specific Theme category in addition to an Open category. Example: Nature/Open.
- Each Theme category has specific instructions, and those are distributed via club email and noted on each competition’s page here.
- The Open category is an opportunity to submit a photograph on any theme or subject, and using any technique.
- You may submit a total of three pictures to a competition, with a maximum of two pictures in a category.
- Each category is divided into an Advanced [A] and a Regular [R] class.
- The advanced category is for experienced photographers, and/or any member who won 1st place in the previous year’s Regular class. “Experienced” is based, in part, on one’s own self-appraisal of your photographic work, including consideration of effort committed to photography, exhibition experience, or other factors. If you have any question about what class you should be entering in, please talk to Marshall or Cindy prior to the competition.
- The Regular class is for new to intermediate photographers who have less experience and/or have not won 1st place in the full-year NCC Competition.
- Technical Information
- Submit images as jpegs in the sRGB color space.
- Sizing: images can be a maximum of 1280 pixels on the long side.
- File naming: CategoryName_class_ YourInitials_ Title.jpg example: Nature_A_vsm_BigWaterfall.jpg
Where to submit: We use Dropbox to gather images. Each competition will have a unique link for submissions. That link will be sent out via email in advance of of each competition.
It’s easier to work out problems if there is still some time before the deadline. If you have questions, please get in touch in advance.
Publishing Competition Images
We plan to post galleries of the winners to show off the great work done by NCC photographers. By submitting to competitions, you are giving us permission to post the images in that gallery of winners on the website, where you will be credited for the work. We will not use your work in any other way whatsoever without asking. If you do not wish the work to be published in the winners gallery, please let us know along with your submission(s).